Sugar: The Bitter Truth (by Robert H. Lustig, MD, UCSF)
This is a must watch! Dr. Lustig explains how fructose/sucrose sugar, and not fat, causes metabolic syndrome (diabetes, heart disease, obesity, hypertension, insulin resistance), chronic disease, and cancers. Based on hard scientific evidence. A compelling case against the “low fat” dietary recommendations of the nutrition industry these past thirty years.
- Wherever you find the toxin fructose in nature, you also find the antidote fiber. That’s why you should eat whole fruits and veggies, not just fruit juice.
- Fructose, in the form of high fructose corn syrup and sucrose, is now found in almost all modern processed foods because it’s cheap and addictive (causing us to buy more, which means bigger profits for fast food corporations). Stay away from soda and other sugary drinks.
- Soda contains a lot of sugar to make it taste good and to cover up the salt (sodium) content. The sodium makes you thirsty, so you end up drinking more (buying more). The sugar represses your “I feel full!” leptin hormone, so you also end up eating more.
- About one third of the fructose you ingest gets converted into the bad kind of fat— the kind of fat that clogs up your arteries.
- Fructose, like ethanol (the sugar from alcoholic drinks), is treated as a toxin by the body and processed by the liver in the same way.
Free download on the UCTV website— free for educational and non-commercial purposes.